Today I’m going to share my deviled eggs with greek yogurt recipe, and that’s no coincidence. April is around the corner and that means two things:
– Celebrating Easter
– Egg hunting
But what to do with all the trophy eggs after the kids finished their hunting? Surely you can eat them as they are. But if you want to go for something special you can turn them into deviled eggs with greek yogurt. Now that’s a guaranteed hit with the kids (and their parents)!
This deviled eggs recipe with greek yogurt is easy to prepare, super tasty and the dish looks great. But there’s more… it’s also healthy. Swapping the mayonnaise with greek yogurt will save you 1361 calories and boost your protein intake by more than 23 grams on a cup-by-cup basis. Not so devilish eggs after all :)
This recipe is for classic deviled eggs with mustard, chives, and red onion, but there are lots of variations possible. Here are some of my kids favorites:
|Deviled egg with pesto||3 to 5 tbsp. pesto, garnish with tiny basil leaves|
|Deviled eggs with honey-mustard||2 tbsp honey mustard, 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill, and 1 tsp. lemon juice. Garnish with rosemary blossoms|
|Deviled eggs with caper-hot-paprika||2 tbsp. chopped capers, 1/2 tsp. hot paprika, and 2 tbsp. chopped parsley. Garnish with parsley leaves, whole capers, and a dusting of hot paprika|
|Deviled eggs with pork belly||add cooked pork belly on the top|
You can simply replace the mustard, chives and red onion (including the water, vinegar and sugar) with your favorite topping. Enjoy!
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 4 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- ½ teaspoon hot chile sauce or hot pepper sauce (such as Sriracha or Tabasco)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Steam (or cook) the eggs for 16 minutes. Place steamed eggs in a large ice waterfilled bowl for 3 minutes.
- While eggs steam, combine ¼ cup water, vinegar, and sugar in a medium bowl and microwave until boiling. Stir in onion. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Drain.
- Combine greek yogurt, mustard, hot chile/pepper sauce, pepper, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring well to combine.
- Peel eggs; discard shells. Slice eggs in half lengthwise.
- Add 6 yolks to greek yogurt mixture; reserve remaining yolks for another use. Mash with a fork until very smooth.
- Spoon mixture into egg white halves (about 1 tablespoon in each half). Garnish egg halves with remaining red onion and chives.